Orders are processed after you click the Complete Purchase button in the checkout process:
- Downloadable software will be made available immediately after purchase.
- Physical/non-downloadable items will be shipped Monday through Friday during business hours.
- Pre-orders will be shipped following release.
To cancel an order
For physical/non-downloadable items, you may be able to cancel an order after you have clicked Complete Purchase if your order has not shipped. Please call us at 1-877-MY-MS-STORE (1-877-696-7786) to determine the status of your order.
For pre-orders, you may cancel your order before the item is released. Please see the Pre-order section below for more information.
For downloadable software or items that have already shipped, you must follow our normal return process. For information about how to return an item and to determine which items are eligible for return, see Returns + Refunds.
You can pre-order some items that are not yet available for immediate delivery. Pre-Orders can be reviewed, updated, or cancelled at any time before pre-order items are released. Please Contact Us to review or cancel a pre-order, or to update the following:
- The credit card associated with the pre-order (including changes to the credit card type, credit card number, billing address, and expiration date)
- The item quantities
- The shipping method for physical products
Prices for pre-order items are covered by the Pre-order Price Guarantee , which describes what happens if prices change after you purchase a pre-order item. We will occasionally make a pre-order option available for a high demand item before the official price is known. We may provide an "estimated price" in this situation, but we do not guarantee that the estimated price will match the official price when announced. In such instances, you will be charged the official price rather than the estimated price for the item.
A credit card is required for pre-order, but your card will not be charged until your order is shipped or the product is made available for download. Note that we can't charge your card and complete your order if your card expires between the date you pre-ordered the item and the date the item becomes available. Please ensure that your billing and contact information is current at all times.
If you wish to return an item that was pre-ordered, the 30-day return period begins:
- When downloadable products are delivered electronically to your account
- When physical products are shipped
Once you’ve selected checkout in cart, you have the option to checkout as a guest or with a Microsoft account.
Guest order and returns
- Open your order confirmation email and click the link within
- Or, go directly to My orders
- Enter your order number and email used to make guest purchase.
There are two ways to look up guest orders:
- Open order confirmation email and hit Download now
- Follow prompts
There’s two ways to download software:
- Enter order number and email used to make guest purchase
- Under Order history, select Download under your purchased software
- Follow prompts
Guest purchase FAQs
Visit Microsoft Store FAQs for more information about guest checkout.
Still need help?
Contact us if you need assistance with:
- Canceling your guest order
- Tracking down your guest order number
- Downloading software purchased as a guest
Software upgrade option for eligible products
Some products qualify for a free upgrade to a future version once it becomes available (for example, if you purchase Microsoft Office 2007, you may be eligible to upgrade to the next version, Office 2010). This allows you to purchase the current product today, and upgrade to the future version at no additional cost.
Microsoft Store will identify products that qualify for the Upgrade Option with a note that describes the version you will be entitled to upgrade to and other important details about the offer. Please check your Purchase Confirmation e-mail for instructions on how to obtain the new version of your product.
Please see the Upgrade Option and Returns section for important restrictions about returns and Upgrade Options.