Returns / Refunds
Before You Return a Product
If you are having issues with a product, there may be other options before you return it:
- Find online help from the Microsoft Support website
- Post a question in the Microsoft Discussion Groups
- Call 1-800-MICROSOFT (1-800-642-7676) for in-person technical product support, or
- Please feel free to contact us.
Products Eligible for Return and Exchange
Microsoft Store wants you to be satisfied with your purchase. We will accept returns and exchanges of eligible items that meet the return criteria below.
Microsoft Store Mistakes
- We work hard to ensure that we always get your order right the first time, but we realize that sometimes we do make mistakes. If we’ve made a mistake please feel free to contact us. Your satisfaction is our priority!
- Returns for downloadable software products will be honored for thirty (30) days from the date of purchase
Subscriptions and Services
- Returns for subscriptions will be honored for thirty (30) days from the date of purchase.
- Returns for services will be honored for thirty (30) days from the date of purchase.
- You may cancel your preorder any time before the product is released. Please feel free to contact us. Once your order has been made available for download normal return policies apply.
- Microsoft Store occasionally offers promotions that enable you to save money by purchasing a combination of products together. All of the products purchased together as part of a promotion must be returned in order to receive a refund. If your promotion included a service that you have already used, the value of the service will be deducted from the amount of your refund. All other return criteria apply to the promotional items.
Upgrade Option and Returns
- If you purchase an otherwise returnable item with the Upgrade Option, returns and exchanges will be honored for thirty (30) days from the date you place your order, and special return procedures apply as follows:
- If you return the item before the upgrade product is released, you will not receive the upgrade product.
- If you return the item after the upgrade product is released, you must return both the item and upgrade product in order to receive a refund or request an exchange.
Items Must be Returned to Same Microsoft Store Where Purchased
- Items ordered from the Microsoft Online Store can only be returned or exchanged at the Microsoft Online Store.
- Items purchased at a Microsoft Retail Store location can only be returned or exchanged at a Microsoft Retail Store location.
Eligible returns and exchanges must be accompanied by the original receipt or gift receipt. Failure to include the receipt may prevent or delay your refund or exchange or result in additional fees. When you make an eligible return, we will credit the full amount to the original method of payment. Microsoft Store reserves the right to deny any return or exchange for any reason.
- You may cancel your preorder any time before the product is released, please feel free to contact us. Once your order has been made available for download normal return policies apply.
To cancel a subscription or a service:
- Please feel free to contact us within thirty (30) days of the date of purchase.
To return downloadable software:
- Confirm your order was placed within the last thirty (30) days.
- Uninstall the software from your computer:
- In Windows 7 and in Vista: In Control Panel, go to Programs and Features, and then click Uninstall a program.
- In Windows XP: In Control Panel, go to Add/Remove Programs, and then click Uninstall a program.
- Please contact us to request a return. You will be asked to confirm that you have uninstalled and have not made any copies of the software. We may also ask you to sign an electronic Letter of Destruction as a condition of your return. After you talk to a customer service agent, the product key will be blocked and you will not be able to install or use the software in the future. Microsoft Store will issue a credit to the same credit card you used to purchase and send you a receipt by email.