Returns / Refunds
Return / exchange policy
Extended holiday return and exchange policy
Products, subscriptions and services purchased from Microsoft Store between November 27, 2013 and December 31, 2013, may be returned or exchanged until January 31, 2014, subject to our other return/exchange guidelines listed below.
Before you return a product
If you are having issues with a product, there may be other options before you return it:
- Find online help from the Microsoft Support website
- Post a question in the Microsoft Discussion Groups
- Contact us by calling the customer support number located on our Sales and Support page for in-person technical product support, questions about your order or for help downloading and installing software
Microsoft Store accepts returns for eligible items that meet our return criteria for 30 days from the date of purchase. Exceptions are stated below. We reserve the right to deny any return or exchange if it fails to meet our return criteria.
When you purchase a service or ESD product from us, you agree that we may begin to provide the service or ESD product immediately.
- Returns must be unopened and unaltered, must not show wear or damage, and must be in a condition that permits us to resell them. For services, the service must not have been delivered or consumed by you.
- All permitted returns and exchanges must be accompanied by the original receipt or gift receipt, the original documentation, instruction manuals, registration, parts and components (including cables, controllers, and accessories) and the manufacturer’s packaging. Failure to include such items may prevent or delay your refund or exchange or result in additional fees. When you make a qualifying return, we will credit the full amount, less the original shipping and handling charges, to the original method of payment.
- For ESD products, we may require you to sign an electronic letter of destruction.
- We may occasionally extend the 30 day return period during holiday or other periods. If a longer return period was advertised on the Website when you made your purchase, you will get the longer period.
- ALL SALES ARE FINAL for random access memory (“RAM”), boxed non-Microsoft-branded software and Xbox 360 games except that if you notify us of a defect within 30 days of purchase, we will replace it with the same product or, if no longer available, issue a Store credit within 30 days.
- ALL SALES ARE FINAL for items marked with a designation such as “Final Sale” or “Non-Returnable.”
- Items ordered from the Website cannot be returned to or exchanged at Microsoft Retail Stores. Similarly, items purchased at a Microsoft Retail Stores cannot be returned or exchanged at the Website.
For pre-order items, the thirty (30) day return period begins:
- For ESDs, when the downloadable product is delivered electronically to your account and made available for download.
- For other products, when the product is shipped.
Upgrade Option and Returns.
If you purchased an otherwise returnable product with an Upgrade Option, returns will be honoured for 30 days from the date of purchase, and special return procedures apply as follows:
- If you return the product before the upgrade product is released, you will not receive the upgrade.
- If you return the product after the upgrade is released, you must return both the product and upgrade together.
- When we offer promotions that save you money by purchasing a combination of products and/or services together, all included products and/or services must be returned together. If your promotion included a service that you have already begun to use, the full retail value of the service will be deducted from the amount of your refund.
- If you are taking part in any trial period offer, you must cancel the service by the end of the trial period to avoid incurring new charges unless we notify you otherwise. If you do not cancel the service at the end of the trial period, you authorize us to charge your payment method for the service.
To cancel a pre-order:
You may cancel your pre-order any time before the product is released by calling the customer support number located on our Sales and Support page. Once your order has been made available for download or shipped, the normal return policies apply.
To cancel a subscription or a service:
Please call us at the customer support number located on our Sales and Support page within 30 days of the date of purchase.
To return downloadable software:
- Confirm your order was placed within the last thirty (30) days.
- Uninstall the software from your computer:
- In Windows 7 and in Vista: In Control Panel, go to Programs and Features, and then click Uninstall a program.
- In Windows XP: In Control Panel, go to Add/Remove Programs, and then click Uninstall a program.
- Call us at the customer support number located on our Sales and Support page to request a return within 30 days of the date of purchase. You will be asked to confirm that you have uninstalled and have not made any copies of the software. We may also ask you to sign an electronic Letter of Destruction as a condition of your return. After you talk to a customer service agent, the product key will be blocked and you will not be able to install or use the software in the future. Microsoft Store will issue a credit to the same method of purchase you used to purchase the item and send you a return receipt by email.
- Please call us at the customer support number located on our Sales and Support page to request a Return Material Authorization (RMA) and a return shipping label no later than 30 days after the date of purchase.
Status of a return
- Please call us at the customer support number located on our Sales and Support page.