Before you Return a Product
If you are having issues with a product, you may wish to try one of the following options before you return it:
- Find online help from the Microsoft Support website
- Post a question in the Microsoft Discussion Groups
- Contact Sales and Support for in-person technical product support, questions about your order, or for help downloading and installing software.
Subject to our return criteria, you may withdraw from the purchase contract and request a refund without giving a reason within fourteen (14) calendar days. The withdrawal period will expire after fourteen (14) calendar days from the following times:
- For downloadable products, when the products are delivered electronically to your account and made available for download.
- For downloadable subscriptions and services, when you click the “Buy Now” button in the checkout process. We may begin to provide the subscription or the service immediately on purchase.
- For physical/non-downloadable products, delivery.
- For pre-order downloadable products and subscriptions, when the products are delivered electronically to your account and made available for download. For pre-order physical/non-downloadable products, when the products are delivered.
- In case of products ordered in one order and delivered separately, when the last product is delivered or made available.
- In case of a product consisting of multiple lots or pieces, when the last lot or piece is delivered or made available.
- In case of regular delivery of products during defined period of time, when the first product is delivered or made available.
If the applicable law of your country grants you a longer withdrawal period, that period will apply.We may extend the right of withdrawal period during holiday or other periods. If a longer period is advertised on our website, the advertised period will apply.
To exercise your right of withdrawal, you must inform us of your decision before the withdrawal period has expired. Please contact us at Sales and Support to notify us of your decision and to initiate the return process. You may also use either of the attached withdrawal forms, but it is not obligatory. If you use this form, please submit it electronically within the withdrawal period as indicated in the form and we will send you a receipt notification email without delay. To meet the withdrawal deadline, it is sufficient for you to send your communication concerning your exercise of the right of withdrawal before the withdrawal period has expired.
Effects of Withdrawal
If you exercise your right of withdrawal, we will reimburse to you all payments received from you, including the costs of delivery (with the exception of the supplementary costs resulting from your choice of a type of delivery other than the least expensive type of standard delivery offered by us), without undue delay and in any event not later than 14 calendar days from the day on which we are informed about your decision to withdraw from this contract. Refunds will be made in the same method of payment that you used for the initial transaction, unless you have expressly agreed otherwise; in any event, you will not incur any fees as a result of such reimbursement.
You must send back the goods to us without undue delay and in any event not later than 14 calendar days from the day on which you communicate your withdrawal from this contract to us. The deadline is met if you send back the goods before the period of 14 calendar days has expired.
We may withhold reimbursement until we have received the products back or you have supplied evidence of having sent back the products, whichever is the earliest. We will bear the returning costs. You are only liable for any diminished value of the goods resulting from the handling other than what is necessary to establish the nature, characteristics, and functioning of the goods.
We will accept returns of items that meet our return criteria. As a condition of withdrawal, and to the extent permitted by law, the following requirements apply.
All returns must be accompanied by the original receipt or gift receipt, original documentation, instruction manuals, registration, parts and components (including cables, controllers, and accessories), and the original manufacturer packaging. If you are returning software, you must also include all media and product keys. Subject to applicable law, failure to include such items may prevent or delay your refund or result in additional fees and Microsoft reserves the right to deny any return if it fails to meet the return criteria and conditions. All products must be returned with reasonable care having been taken (such as must not show wear or damage, and must be in a condition that permits us to resell them).
For downloadable products and subscriptions, we may require you to sign an electronic letter of destruction as condition of withdrawal from this contract. For services, the service must not have been delivered, performed, or consumed by you. For software and games, all boxed software and video games must be returned with their seal intact.
For phones, you can return them during our return period, but it is your responsibility to cancel your service within the time specified by your carrier or your carrier may charge you an early termination fee. This is a carrier policy and we have no influence over their cancellation policies. A product key cards ("PKC") purchased with computers can be returned within the return period as a standalone item provided it has not been opened, altered, or damaged. If you return the computer that you purchased together with the PKC, the PKC must also be returned.
Microsoft Store will not accept the following items for return: (i) items that have been personalized or customized: (ii) special order items, if not part of a Microsoft Store promotional retail sales offering, (iii) items that have been used, altered, or that show wear or damage, (iv) physical and downloadable gift cards and service cards (i.e Skype cards, Xbox Live cards), (v) performed services, (vi) random access memory (“RAM”) products, and (vii) clearance items or those marked with a designation such as “Final Sale” or “Non-Returnable.”
Upgrade option and returns. If you purchased an otherwise returnable product with an upgrade option, returns will be honored within the return period, and special return procedures apply as follows:
- If you return the product before the upgrade is released, you will not receive the upgrade.
- If you return the product after the upgrade is released, you must return both the product and upgrade together.
Promotions and bundles. For promotional items and bundles, all included products and/or services must be returned together. If a service included in the promotion and/or bundle has been used (for example a used promotional promo code), the full retail value of the service will be deducted from the refund amount. When a bundle is purchased and only part of the bundle is returned, the bundle discount is void, and the total bundle discount will be deducted from the refund.
Trial-period offers. If you are taking part in any trial-period offer, you must cancel the service by the end of the trial period to avoid incurring new charges unless we notify you otherwise. If you do not cancel the service at the end of the trial period, you authorize us to charge your payment method for the service.
Personal data. Microsoft is not responsible for any personal data included on returned items. Please ensure that your personal data is removed from all items prior to return.
To cancel a pre-order:
You may cancel your pre-order any time before the product is released by contacting Sales and Support. Once your order has been made available for download or process for shipping, the normal return policies apply.
To cancel a subscription or service:
Please contact Sales and Support or use the withdrawal form within 14 calendar days of the date of purchase in the manner indicated above. We may ask you to sign an electronic Letter of Destruction as a condition of your return.
To return downloadable software:
- Confirm your order was placed within the last fourteen (14) calendar days.
- Uninstall the software from your computer:
- In Windows 8.1, 8, Windows 7, and Vista: In Control Panel, go to Programs and Features, and then click Uninstall a program.
- In Windows XP: In Control Panel, go to Add/Remove Programs, and then click Uninstall a program.
- Contact Sales and Support or use the withdrawal form in the manner indicated above, and confirm that you have uninstalled and have not made any copies of the software within 14 calendar days of the date of purchase. We may also ask you to sign an electronic Letter of Destruction as a condition of your return. The deadline is met if this is carried out before the period of 14 days has expired. After that, the product key will be blocked and you will not be able to install or use the software in the future. We will issue a credit to the same method of payment you used to purchase the item and send you a refund notification email.
To return a physical/non-downloadable product:
Please contact Sales and Support or use the withdrawal form within 14 calendar days of the date of purchase in the manner indicated above. Upon receiving your communication, we will send you the return instructions and the return shipping label by email(s). You must send the items to us following the instructions without undue delay and not later than 14 calendar days from the day on which you communicate your withdrawal to us. The deadline is met if you send back the items before the period of 14 days has expired. We will examine the items when received and, if they meet our return criteria, we will issue a credit to the same method of payment you used to purchase the item and send you a refund notification email.
Status of a return
Please contact Sales and Support.
Many products available on Microsoft Store come with manufacturer warranties. Please see the manufacturer warranties for specific details on how to resolve issues that are covered by those warranties. For some products, you will have the option to purchase an Extended Service Plan at an additional cost. Please see the specific plans for details.
In addition, our products may come with guarantees that cannot be disclaimed under law, such as statutory protection relating to faulty or misdescribed goods or services. Any commercial warranties are in addition to these rights. Should you have an issue with your product, please contact Sales and Support.