Returns and exchanges
Before you return a product
We work hard to ensure that we always get your order right the first time. If you are having issues with a product, there may be other options before you return it:
- Find online help from the Microsoft Support website
- Post a question in the Microsoft Discussion Groups
- Call 1-800-642-7676 for in-person technical product support, or
- Call 1-877-696-7786 about your U.S. Microsoft Store order and get help with downloading and installing software
- If your item was damaged during shipping, please call us as soon as possible at 1-877-696-7786 so that we can work with you to resolve the issue quickly.
Return and exchange policy
To qualify, all returns and exchanges must be accompanied by the original receipt or gift receipt, the original documentation, instruction manuals, registration, parts and components (including cables, controllers, and accessories) and the original manufacturer packaging. Failure to include such items may prevent or delay your refund or exchange.
Microsoft Store will not accept the following items for return: (i) items that have been personalized or customized: (ii) special order items, if not part of a Microsoft Store promotional retail sales offering (iii) items that have been used, altered or that show wear or damage; (iv) gift cards and Skype cards; and (v) services. Items must be in a condition that permits us to resell them.
Products eligible for return and exchange
Hardware, including computers and Xbox (excluding RAM)
Returns and exchanges of computers, computer hardware items (including mice, keyboards, and printers), and other hardware items (including Xbox consoles, controllers and accessories), will be honored for thirty (30) days from the date of purchase, provided the item meets our return criteria and it has not been used, altered or shows wear or damage.
Software and games
For software and games, you may only return opened items during the return period if: (i) you don’t agree with the license agreement, or (ii) the media does not work, and (iii) only if you do not make or retain any copies. Opened software and games may only be exchanged for the same product. If we no longer have the same product, we will issue you a Microsoft Store credit.
For mobile phones sold by Microsoft Store, you can return them during our return period, but it is your responsibility to cancel your service within the time specified by your carrier or your carrier may charge you an early termination fee. This is a carrier policy and we have no influence over their cancellation policies. For customer service or returns of mobile phones, service plans, and accessories for AT&T and T-Mobile, please call Microsoft Store customer service at 1-877-696-7786.
RAM and clearance items
ALL SALES ARE FINAL for random access memory (“RAM”) products and clearance items or those marked with a designation such as “Final Sale” or “Non-Returnable.” Please be sure to read the product description carefully before placing your order to ensure that the item will meet your needs.
Product key cards ("PKC") purchased with computers
A Product Key Card can be returned as a stand-alone item when purchased from the Microsoft Store in the last thirty (30) days, provided it has not been opened, altered, or damaged. If you return the computer that you purchased together with the Product Key Card, the Product Key Card must also be returned.
The 30-day return period for pre-orders begins:
- When a physical product is shipped, or…
- When a downloadable product is delivered electronically to your account and made available for download.
Returns for subscriptions will be honored for thirty (30) days from the date of purchase. TechNet subscriptions may be returned provided they have not been activated. Please see our Subscription Auto Renewal Policy for more information about auto-renewing subscriptions.
Promotional items and bundles
All products and/or services included in a promotional item or bundle must be returned together. If a service included in the promotion and/or bundle has been used (for example, a used promotional code), the full retail value of the service will be deducted from the refund amount. When a bundle is purchased and only part of the bundle is returned, the bundle discount will be void, and the total bundle discount will be deducted from the refund.
Upgrade options and returns
If you purchased an otherwise returnable product with an upgrade option, returns will be honored within the return period. Additionally, special return procedures will apply as follows:
- If you return the product before the upgrade is released, you will not receive the upgrade.
- If you return the product after the upgrade is released, you must return both the original product and the upgrade together.
If you are taking part in any trial-period offer, you must cancel the service by the end of the trial period to avoid incurring new charges unless we notify you otherwise. If you do not cancel the service at the end of the trial period, you authorize us to charge your payment method for the service.
Return and exchange process
Items ordered from this website can be returned to or exchanged at Microsoft Retail Stores, but items purchased at Microsoft Retail Stores cannot be returned or exchanged at this website.
When you make a qualifying return, we will credit the full amount, less the original shipping and handling charges, if any, and you will receive your refund in approximately 2-3 weeks. Refunds will be made in the same method as payment unless you select to exchange the item or get a Microsoft Store credit in the amount of the refund. Microsoft Store reserves the right to deny any return or exchange for any reason.
To cancel a pre-order:
Please call us at 1-877-696-7786 to cancel a pre-order. You may cancel your pre-order any time before the product is released. Once your order has been made available for download or shipped, our normal return policy applies.
To cancel a subscription or a service:
Please call us at 1-877-696-7786 within thirty (30) days of the date of purchase.
To return downloadable software
- Confirm your order was placed within the last thirty (30) days.
- Uninstall the software from your computer:
- Windows 8, Windows 7 and Vista: In Control Panel, go to Programs and Features, and then click Uninstall a program.
- Windows XP: In Control Panel, go to Add/Remove Programs, and then click Uninstall a program.
- Call Microsoft Store at 1-877-696-7786 to request a return. You will be asked to confirm that you have uninstalled and have not made any copies of the software. We may also ask you to sign an electronic Letter of Destruction as a condition of your return. After you talk to a customer service agent, the product key will be blocked and you will not be able to install or use the software in the future. Microsoft Store will issue a credit to the same credit card you used to purchase and send you a receipt by email.
To return a physical/non-downloadable product eligible for return or exchange under our Return/Exchange Policy:
- Please call us at 1-877-696-7786 to request a Return Material Authorization (RMA) and a return shipping label no later than thirty (30) days after the date of purchase.
- You will receive two emails, one from Microsoft Store with your RMA, and one from UPS with a return shipping label.
- We will examine the items once we receive them and, if they are eligible for return or exchange under our Return/Exchange policy, we will arrange for an exchange or issue a credit to the same credit card you used to purchase the item and send you a return receipt email.
Status of a return
To request the status of a return, please call us at 1-877-696-7786.