Returns and exchanges
Return and exchange policy
Extended holiday return and exchange policy
Products, subscriptions and services purchased from Microsoft Store (except for Mobile Phones and related products) between November 29, 2013 and December 31, 2013, may be returned or exchanged until January 31, 2014, subject to our other return/exchange guidelines listed below.
Before you return a product
If you are having issues with a product, there may be other options before you return it:
- Find online help from the Microsoft Support website
- Post a question in the Microsoft Discussion Groups
- Call 1-800-MICROSOFT (1-800-642-7676) for in-person technical product support, or
- Call 1-877-MY-MSSTORE (1-877-696-7786) about your U.S. Microsoft Store order and get help with downloading and installing software
Products eligible for return and exchange
Microsoft Store wants you to be satisfied with your purchase. We will accept returns and exchanges of eligible items that meet the return criteria below.
Microsoft Store mistakes
We work hard to ensure that we always get your order right the first time, but we realize that sometimes we do make mistakes. If we've made a mistake or your item was damaged during shipping, please call us as soon as possible at 1-877-MY-MSSTORE (1-877-696-7786) so that we can work with you to resolve the issue quickly. Your satisfaction is our priority!
All sales are final for items marked "Clearance." Please be sure to read the product description carefully before placing your order to ensure that the item will meet your needs.
All sales are final. In the case of a manufacturer defect, you must notify us within thirty (30) days from the date of purchase. In that case, the item will be exchanged for the same product or, if that item is no longer available, we will issue a refund.
Hardware, including computers and Xbox (excluding RAM)
Returns and exchanges of computers, computer hardware items (including mice, keyboards, and printers), and other hardware items (including Xbox 360 consoles and controllers, Zune players, and accessories), will be honored for thirty (30) days from the date of purchase, provided the item has not been opened or altered from its original state and does not show wear or damage.
Product key cards ("PKC") purchased with computers
- A Product Key Card can be returned as a standalone item when purchased from the Microsoft Store in the last thirty (30) days, provided it has not been opened, altered, or damaged.
- If you return the computer that you purchased together with the Product Key Card, the Product Key Card must also be returned.
Returns for downloadable software products will be honored for thirty (30) days from the date of purchase
Boxed Microsoft software (excluding Xbox 360 games)
Returns and exchanges of boxed Microsoft Software (excluding Xbox 360 games) will be honored for thirty (30) days from the date of purchase, provided the item has not been opened or altered from its original state and does not show wear or damage.
Xbox 360 games and boxed non-Microsoft software
ALL SALES ARE FINAL. In the case of a manufacturer defect, you must notify us within thirty (30) days from the date of purchase. In this case, the product will be exchanged for the same product or, if that product is no longer available, we will issue a refund.
Mobile phones (including service plans and accessories)
Mobile phones, service plans and phone accessories purchased at http://phones.microsoftstore.com are sold by Simplexity, LLC and are subject to Simplexity's return policy. To initiate a return or to contact customer service about a mobile phone-related purchase, please call 1-888-843-2485.
Subscriptions and services
- Returns for subscriptions will be honored for thirty (30) days from the date of purchase.
- TechNet subscriptions may be returned provided they have not been activated. Please see our Subscription Auto Renewal Policy for more information about auto renewal.
- Returns for services will be honored for thirty (30) days from the date of purchase.
You may cancel your preorder any time before the product is released by calling 1-877-MY-MSSTORE (1-877-696-7786). Once your order has been made available for download or shipped, normal return policies apply.
Microsoft Store occasionally offers promotions that enable you to save money by purchasing a combination of products together. All of the products purchased together as part of a promotion must be returned in order to receive a refund. If your promotion included a service that you have already used, the value of the service will be deducted from the amount of your refund. All other return criteria apply to the promotional items.
Upgrade option and returns
- If you purchase an otherwise returnable item with the Upgrade Option, returns and exchanges will be honored for thirty (30) days from the date you place your order, and special return procedures apply as follows:
- If you return the item before the upgrade product is released, you will not receive the upgrade product.
- If you return the item after the upgrade product is released, you must return both the item and upgrade product in order to receive a refund or request an exchange.
Items must be returned to same Microsoft Store where purchased
- Items ordered from the Microsoft Online Store can only be returned or exchanged at the Microsoft Online Store.
- Items purchased at a Microsoft retail store location can only be returned or exchanged at a Microsoft Retail Store location.
Return and exchange process
Eligible returns and exchanges must be accompanied by the original receipt or gift receipt, the original documentation, instruction manuals, registration, parts and components (including cables, controllers, and accessories) and the original packaging. Failure to include such items may prevent or delay your refund or exchange or result in additional fees. When you make an eligible return, we will credit the full amount, less the original shipping and handling charges, to the original method of payment. Microsoft Store reserves the right to deny any return or exchange for any reason.
You may cancel your pre-order any time before the product is released by calling 1-877-MY-MSSTORE (1-877-696-7786). Once your order has been made available for download or shipped, normal return policies apply.
To cancel a subscription or a service:
Please call us at 1-877-MY-MSSTORE (1-877-696-7786) within thirty (30) days of the date of purchase.
To return downloadable software:
- Confirm your order was placed within the last thirty (30) days.
- Uninstall the software from your computer:
- Windows 8, Windows 7 and Vista: In Control Panel, go to Programs and Features, and then click Uninstall a program.
- Windows XP: In Control Panel, go to Add/Remove Programs, and then click Uninstall a program.
- Call Microsoft Store at 1-877-MY-MSSTORE (1-877-696-7786) to request a return. You will be asked to confirm that you have uninstalled and have not made any copies of the software. We may also ask you to sign an electronic Letter of Destruction as a condition of your return. After you talk to a customer service agent, the product key will be blocked and you will not be able to install or use the software in the future. Microsoft Store will issue a credit to the same credit card you used to purchase and send you a receipt by email.
To return a physical/non-downloadable product eligible for return or exchange under our Return / Exchange Policy:
- Please call 1-877-MY-MSSTORE (1-877-696-7786) to request a Return Material Authorization (RMA) and a return shipping label no later than thirty (30) days after the date of purchase
- You will receive two emails: one from Microsoft Store with the RMA, and one from UPS with the return shipping label.
- We will examine the items when received and, if they are eligible for return or exchange under our Return / Exchange policy, Microsoft Store will arrange for an exchange or issue a credit to the same credit card you used to purchase the item and send you a return receipt e-mail.
Status of a return
Call us at 1-877-MY-MS-STORE (1-877-696-7786)