Returns / Refunds
Before you return a product
If you are having issues with a product, there may be other options before you return it:
- Find online help from the Microsoft Support website
- Post a question in the Microsoft Discussion Groups
- Contact us by calling the customer support number located on our Sales and Support page for in-person technical product support, questions about your order or for help downloading and installing software
You may withdraw from the purchase contract and request a refund without giving a reason within fourteen (14) calendar days. The withdrawal period will expire after fourteen (14) days from:
- For ESD products and services, when the product is made available for download or the service starts; and
- For physical products, delivery.
If the applicable law of your Country/Region grants you a longer withdrawal period, that period will apply.
To exercise your right of withdrawal, you must inform us of your decision before the withdrawal period has expired. Please contact us by calling the customer support number located on our Sales and Support page to notify us of your decision and to begin the return process described below.
Products eligible for return and exchange
Microsoft Store wants you to be satisfied with your purchase. We will accept returns and exchanges of items that meet the return criteria below.
As a condition of return, and to the extent permitted by law, the following requirements apply. All products must be returned with reasonable care having been taken (such as must not show wear or damage, and must be in a condition that permits us to resell them). All boxed software and video games must be returned with their seal intact. For services, the service must not have been delivered or consumed by you. For ESD products, we may also require you to sign an electronic letter of destruction as a condition of withdrawal from this contract.
All returns should be accompanied by the original receipt or gift receipt, the original documentation, instruction manuals, registration, parts and components (including cables, controllers, and accessories) and the manufacturer’s packaging. Subject to applicable law, failure to include such items may prevent or delay your refund or exchange or result in additional fees and Microsoft reserves the right to deny any return or exchange if it fails to meet our return criteria.
To cancel a pre-order:
You may cancel your pre-order any time before the product is released by calling the customer support number located on our Sales and Support page. Once your order has been made available for download or shipped, the normal return policies apply.
To cancel a subscription or a service:
Please call us at the customer support number located on our Sales and Support page within fourteen (14) days of the date of purchase.
To return downloadable software:
- Confirm your order was placed within the last fourteen (14) days.
- Uninstall the software from your computer:
- In Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, and Vista: In Control Panel, go to Programs and Features, and then click Uninstall a program.
- In Windows XP: In Control Panel, go to Add/Remove Programs, and then click Uninstall a program.
- Call us at the customer support number located on our Sales and Support page to request a return within fourteen (14) days of the date of purchase. You will be asked to confirm that you have uninstalled and have not made any copies of the software. We may also ask you to sign an electronic Letter of Destruction as a condition of your return. After you talk to a customer service agent, the product key will be blocked and you will not be able to install or use the software in the future. Microsoft Store will issue a credit to the same method of purchase you used to purchase the item and send you a return receipt by email.
- Please call us at the customer support number located on our Sales and Support page to request a Return Material Authorization (RMA) and a return shipping label no later than fourteen (14) days after the date of delivery.
Status of a return
Please call us at the customer support number located on our Sales and Support page.
Extended Holiday Return and Exchange Policy
Products, subscriptions and services purchased from Microsoft Store between November 11, 2016 and December 31, 2016, may be returned or exchanged until January 31, 2017, subject to our other return/exchange guidelines listed below.